In this talk, I will introduce the audience to the original beauty that leads to exploring the mathematical elements in music. I will cover the following topics on the connection between music and mathematics.
- Harmonics & equations
- Pythagoras tuning & Equal temperament tuning
- Logic, structure, symmetry, geometry, pattern in Bach’s music and in the musical form of the fugue, the most mathematical of musical structures.
- Fractals and their musical translations
- AI and music generation
- AI transcription of piano music
- (String quartet performance of HJ Lim’s fugue that uses geometric and other mathematical elements; Vn1. 피예나 Vn2. 류경주 Va. 임혜진 Vc. 김상민)
- Fibonacci sequence
- (Performance by HJ Lim of her piano piece 'Infinity' inspired by the Fibonacci sequence)