https://www.math.snu.ac.kr/board/files/attach/images/701/ff97c54e6e21a4ae39315f9a12b27314.png
Extra Form
Lecturer 오성진
Dept. 고등과학원
date Mar 09, 2017

Black holes are perhaps the most celebrated predictions of general relativity. Miraculously, these complicated spacetimes arise as explicit (i.e., exact expression can be written down!) solutions to the vacuum Einstein equation. Looking these explicit black hole solutions leads to an intriguing observation: While the black hole exterior look qualitatively similar for every realistic black hole, the structure of the interior, in particular the nature of the `singularity' inside the black hole, changes drastically depending on whether the black hole is spinning (Kerr) or not (Schwarzschild).

A proposed picture for what happens in general is the so-called strong cosmic censorship conjecture of R. Penrose, which is a central conjecture in general relativity. In this colloquium, I will give a short introduction to general relativity and explain what this conjecture is. Then I will describe my recent joint work with J. Luk (Stanford Univ.), where we rigorously establish a version of strong cosmic censorship for the Einstein-Maxwell-(real)-scalar-field system in spherical symmetry, which has long been studied by physicists and mathematicians as a model problem for the conjecture.

Atachment
Attachment '1'
  1. <학부생을 위한 ɛ 강연> 4차 산업혁명, 글로벌 디지털 혁신과 일자리 전쟁, 대학의 역할

2. An equivalent condition to Bohr's for Dirichlet series

3. On the Schauder theory for elliptic PDEs

4. <학부생을 위한 ɛ 강연> 서비스 진보의 관점에서 본 AI technology

5. Seifert fiberings

6. Mixing time of random processes

7. Periodic orbits in symplectic geometry

8. <학부생을 위한 ɛ 강연> 196884=196883+1

9. Mathematical Models and Intervention Strategies for Emerging Infectious Diseases: MERS, Ebola and 2009 A/H1N1 Influenza

10. Convex and non-convex optimization methods in image processing

11. Creation of concepts for prediction models and quantitative trading

12. <학부생을 위한 ɛ 강연> Introduction to the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations

13. An introduction to hyperplane arrangements

14. 14Mar
    by 김수현
    in Math Colloquia

What happens inside a black hole?

15. <학부생을 위한 ε 강연> Variable-driven sociological research with data innovations

16. Subword complexity, expansion of real numbers and irrationality exponents

17. <학부생을 위한 ε 강연> 동형암호와 근사정수론

18. 4-manifold topology and disk embedding

19. Hybrid discontinuous Galerkin methods in computational science and engineering

20. The phase retrieval problem

Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
/ 11